Sunday, August 30, 2009

Making A Heroic Correction

In response to last Sunday’s ‘Where have all the heroes gone?’ there were a fair number of email and on-line reader comments that were as valid as the stamp of a Notary Public. I gladly accept criticism for not everyone has the same views as myself. In this instance, my errors warrant a recant as others deserve recognition for their exceptional critiques.

As delivered by email from Mr. Vlasto, a point of inaccuracy in the ‘heroes’ column claimed President Dwight Eisenhower had received the Congressional Medal of Honor. In actuality General Eisenhower had refused the Medal as he felt it should be reserved for servicemen and women for bravery and valor. As if his wartime contributions were anything but!

Of the other comments, a most deserving on-line remark from ‘stopthespending’ put into question my reference to the ineffectiveness of the troop surge under the command of General David Patraeus. The writer emphasized the General’s worthy attributes that make him “a hero and deserves a Medal of Honor he secured Iraq and is a great man”. The writer made me pause again with a final statement, “I could name many more but why should I you only disagree.” I bow my head, partly in shame but also in respectful appreciation for the sacrifices and loss of lives of so many soldiers who have been steadfast in honoring the American Flag so that we may all live safe and free from harm in a world too dangerous for us soft-shoed citizens to truly comprehend.

Two other emails were unexpected with each providing a phone number as an offering for a moment of discussion.

The first was in agreement America’s working men and women are, or should be recognized as, the real heroes who can bring America around from these days of near economic ruin. The gentleman posed the question, “I wonder what the government is doing to set them up for success?” He answered, “Not much.”

He also made a correction that he “did not take on Dave Patraeus.” I immediately checked it out through my fairly trusted search mechanism, Google, and realized I had indeed made a grievous error that made me the goof. He, and the other 20 Generals I identified in the column, had actually chastised then-Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and the failed strategy of the Bush Administration in Iraq.

When I called the gentleman I was taken aback that he answered simply, “John Batiste.” I couldn’t possibly address him but with the respectful title of “General Batiste, this is Ron Rae…” with a reference to the column on heroes. When I expressed regret on my reference to General Patraeus, he kindly brushed it off.

From there the exchange of words were conversational. As a civilian and President of Klein Steel, Inc., he has seen a major turnaround in business since the first of the year. I made mention of a 30 second spot he had made on behalf of VoteVets with the theme that “Mr. President, you did not listen”. It was because of the Commander-in-Chief’s policies that led General Batiste, and others, to protest with early retirement.

The General no longer associates himself with VoteVets, which ‘Aims to put Iraq and Afghanistan veterans in Congress who are critical of the execution of the war in Iraq’, because it has become too centered on politics. Mr. Batiste, I mean General Batiste, is not a political pundit in the slightest.

The other email was from Retired Major General Paul D. Eaton who was justifiably critical of my “misrepresenting” his views and strongly suggested that “not critiquing” him further should be my only action. Not only was there a reference to the aforementioned error in regards to comments about General Patraeus, but General Eaton also informed me that he has been objectionable of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace for having said that “this country is exceptionally well served “ by Donald Rumsfeld. Vice Chairman General Richard B. Meyers was also criticized for what I might say has been a misbegotten game of ‘follow the leader’. I needn’t say more out of respect for what was truly an unforgivable misrepresentation of General Eaton.

I stand corrected as I stand in salute for the sacrifices of each and every American hero who has defended these great United States of America from not only branded enemies of the past but also today’s enemies wear no uniform but have a uniform goal of terrorizing those with opposing ideologies, including innocent civilian bystanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment